2016 SHINING STAR AWARDS: NOMINATIONS
Shining Stars 2015:
Maree Hawkins received the Joan Patterson Stellar Award, which recognizes longtime library volunteers. Ms. Hawkins has completed 15 years as a member of the Stanislaus Library Foundation board, the longest in board history. She has served as secretary, treasurer and board chairwoman. “Her wisdom and experience and unqualified love of the library have served as an inspiration to the SLF board members,” according to the release.
Shining Stars awards were presented to honorees in three categories:
Friends of the Library
▪ Judy Pierce joined Friends of the Modesto Library in 2011 and has served as co-president of the group and as publisher of its newsletter. She has been a liaison with library management through renovations of the Children’s Room, funded by FOML.
▪ Sandy Mann is active in Friends of the Turlock Library and has been responsible for book sorting, done 34 times each year to prepare for the annual book sale.
▪ Nancy McNatt volunteers daily at the Salida library, arranges the book tables and coordinates the two books sales each year for Friends of the Salida Library.
▪ Frank Clark serves on the Oakdale Board of Directors for the Friends of the Oakdale Library. As part of his many volunteer efforts, he helped in fundraising for Measure T and promotes the Oakdale library to community and civic organizations.
▪ Dorothy Watson has been volunteering for the Ceres library since 1992, going to the library every Monday morning and spending two hours shelving, pulling holds and supporting the library staff in numerous ways.
▪ Since 2003, Paul Rey’s company, Foothill Systems, has provided hosting, registration and name domain of the foundation’s website and has continued the work at no cost. Paul also assisted with the Yes on T campaign.
Shining Stars 2014:
- Friends of the Library category:
- Susan Hansen, secretary of the Friends of the Denair Library for several years, who has contributed quilts, aprons, table runners and placemats she has sewn to sell at the annual Friends holiday boutique fundraiser.
- Ann Pedro, a friend of the Ceres Library for over four years, who volunteers with sorting and filling the library’s request list. Treasurer of the Friends, she also organizes the group’s annual book sale and sorts books throughout the year.
- Luan Oney, treasurer of the Friends of the Waterford Library since 2008, assists with the annual book sale and walked precincts in support of the of the 2012 measure T campaign.
- Gabee Abarca, Riverbank Library volunteer, works two days a week, doing a variety of tasks, including shelving and organizing in the children’s and teens area.
- Sheridan Beuving, a member of the Library Advisory Board since 2002, has served as chairman since 2008. As chairman he presents annual reports to the Board of Supervisors. He led the advisory group in a study of library funding models which concluded that the dedicated sales tax was the most viable method of funding the library system. The Library Board recommended the continuation of the tax to the Board of Supervisors, leading to the most recent extension on the ballot in June 2012.
- Maudeen Martin and her therapy dogs Arthur and Nellie participate in the library’s Read to a Dog program. This provides a non-judgmental atmosphere for independent readers to practice reading out loud. Ms. Martin helps to foster a love of reading for the younger set.
Business category: Since 2012 Ken Beard and the Beard Land Improvement Company have provides the Friends of the Modesto Library with storage space for thousands of books that are sold at the Friends Used Book sale on the first Saturday of May. Access to storage allows the group to collect more books earlier in the year and sort them over several months. The Modesto Friends has made almost $10,000 in the last three years.
Bev Finley/Scott Monday – Library Advocacy
Clare Noonan – Friends of the Modesto Library
HyPower Hydraulics – In-kind support
Waterford News – Library Supporter
Joan Patterson Stellar Achievement Award
Mark Looker, Looker Communications Consulting – Stanislaus Reads
Crescencia Maurer – Friends of the Newman Library
Ellen Dambrosio – Friends of the Modesto Library
Vintage Faire Mall – Library Supporter
Stan Cunningham – Volunteer computer instructor
Marye Martinez – Friends of the Empire Library
The Stanislaus Civil War Association – Abraham Lincoln Exhibit support
Petrulakis Jensen and Friedrich – Ongoing in-kind support
Joan Patterson Stellar Achievement Award
Patricia Hickman – Friends of the Turlock Library
Harrison Gibbs – Turlock Library Volunteer/Friends of the Turlock Library
Susan Helm-Lauber – Friends of the Turlock Library
Stella Beratlis – Friends of the Modesto Library
Jim Sterling – Friends of the Empire Library
Dittos Printing – Discounted and donated printing services for the Library
and Friends of the Modesto Library
Anne Britton – Modesto & Empire Library Volunteer, Friends
of the Modesto
Library Member, Friends Book Fair Chairperson
Anita Hay – Volunteer Knitting Teacher, Friends of the Waterford Library
Bright Family Foundation – Library Supporter
Carole Boyett – Library Supporter/Founding member of the Stanislaus
County Library Foundation
Friends of the Modesto Library – Outgoing Board of Directors
Omega Nu – Support for Children’s Dinner Theater
Scotty Gonser – Volunteer Computer Teacher
Pat Graham – Friends of the Oakdale Library
Joan Ahlstrand – Friends of the Turlock Library
Valley First Credit Union – Ongoing support
Margaret Prudot – Volunteer Book Mender
Peggy Bowen – Friends of the Hughson Library
Children & Families Commission – Traveling Tales Support
Credit Bureau of Stanislaus County Community Foundation – Teen
Rhoda Yare – Home Delivery Service Volunteer
Shirley Schultz – Friends of the Waterford Library
John Evans/Craig Lewis – Library Advocacy
Dieter & Hanna Renning – Friends of the Turlock Library
The Modesto Bee – Literacy, Book Club, etc.